September 21, 2009

Mini-Moonin' It - On the Water (Part 1)

I thought that while we're waiting for my pro pics from Dante Williams that I would share our mini-moon to Newport, Rhode Island.

As I mentioned in my initial post, I was not completely sold on the idea of Newport, but as I researched all that the area had to offer, I was pretty excited to get there. We packed a lot into about five days, and yet it didn't seem rushed at all. I highly recommend a get-away after the wedding however small or modest it may be.

During our first two full days in Newport, we spent quite a bit of time on the water. Mr. Swan grew up sailing a lot with his family as well as coming to Newport, so it was like reminiscing for him. Our first few days included a trip to the Newport area's second beach, which is technically in Middletown, Rhode Island (but, hey, who's counting?).




A few hours later we took in a sunset cruise on the Amazing Grace tour boat and admired Newport's world famous harbor and learned a little bit about its history.




Well, what did we see?


Fabulous boats

Anybody wanna buy a boat? This is the Athena, apparently one of the largest sailboats in the world, and it will only cost you well over $100 million dollars. That's all! :)



Interesting Sites

A private family home out there all by itself


Hammersmith Farm
Jackie Bouvier Kennedy Onassis' childhood summer home


This is a historic house that's now condos. I'll live there!


Fort Adams, which is now used as a state park and some Navy housing.

Mr. Swan and I also got a chance to tackle sailing on a former America's Cup 12 meter racing ship called the Heritage courtesy of SIL and BIL Swan.


The great thing about the ship was that we even got help out sailing the boat.

Here I am having just finished helping to hoist the sail.

The Mr. and I had a great time.
Here we are with the Newport Bridge behind us.

Will you or did you spend a lot of time near the water for your honeymoon?

No comments: