March 20, 2009

Meet the Parents

Uh oh! As you can see from the title, we are planning on having Mr. CPF's parents meet Mommy CPF this weekend for the first time. I am a bit nervous. Mr. CPF and I come from VERY different families not just culturally but also in the way we were raised. Mr. CPF's parents have been married for over 35 years, whereas I was raised by a very amazing single mother. Mr. CPF's upbringing was much less strict and mine much more.  FMIL CPF was able to have the opportunity to stay at home during portions of Mr. CPF's childhood while Mommy CPF worked. In short, we've had drastically different family experiences.  

Add to it all that we've got parents who have led very different lives. My mother spent most of her formative years in a small island in the Carribbean before moving to NYC. Mr. CPF's parents have spent most of their lives in New England save for a few years here and there in NYC (though not while together).   I'm a bit worried about them not having much in common to talk about. My mother immerses herself in her church activities and loves to bake and sing. Mr. CPF's parents hike and do other outdoor activities together. 

Plus Mommy CPF can be quite quiet and shy when she doesn't really know a person well. I hope she'll be able to open up this weekend. FMIL CPF is quite gregarious, so we'll see how the mixing goes. Then FFIL CPF also is another ingredient in the mix. He's a sweetie. 

I'm going to not think about whether things will go right or wrong and rather focus on some of this cleaning I've got to do before receiving our visitors. Yikes!

Were you nervous when you got your parents together for the first time?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our parents haven't met yet (and won't meet until the day before the wedding) but I completely understand. I suspect the meeting will be a bit awkward but okay in the end. I don't think it will be a lovefest because of a number of differences between our respective parents. Good luck!