June 18, 2009

The Sports Pages


What could I possibly be referring to? Well, wedding announcements! You see Senora Carrie Bradshaw of "Sex and the City" once called the New York Times Weddings and Celebrations section "the single heterosexual woman's sports pages."

I LOVE looking at the New York Times wedding announcements. I don't know how I started to read them, but all I know is that it satisfies my nosey streak each week. The bride and groom are required to write pretty personal stuff about themselves and their families. I can find out where they went to college and grad school to their parents' non-profit board memberships. My reading experience did start to change a bit for me as I started recognizing a few of the names once in awhile. One week I found someone with my best friend's name and sent it to her. She was pretty surprised she had gotten married and didn't even know it!

I’m not the only one who reads (and maybe even ponders) the announcments. The satire website Gawker has recently revived their weekly analysis of the New York Times announcements. You get a plus (and even a minus) for your annoucement (and to a great extent your life) having certain characterisitcs: add a few points here and there for certain professions or colleges, if the bride stops working after she gets married, etc . I know this is all in jest, but ouch! I guess that's what you get for putting yourself out there, huh?

Since the New York Times is still technically one of our local newspapers, I have been thinking about whether to try to get our wedding included as one of the lucky few. There is apparently a certain mystique around getting your announcement included. Some people have said that back in the day you needed to know someone and or be a part of NYC “society” social set. I don't think that's the case anymore as I see a variety couples from a range of backgrounds. After doing some research I think I have found out the magic formula for getting a wedding announcement published: Just follow the directions! The New York Times apparently has a list of very particular instructions. Case in point: The couple's heads and eyes have to be the same level in the picture submission. Ummm..okay.  I guess many a couple has failed to attain the Holy Grail of wedding announcements by simply not doing what's asked.

Are we going to submit to the Times or any other newspaper for that matter? Well, I actually don't know. I've heard the Times process can be a bit cumbersome (i.e, they fact check everything to the tee! Of course, they should as it is a major newspaper). Also while I'd love to shout it from the rooftops that I am marrying a wonderful man, I don't know if I want a large chunk of America to be reading about it over Sunday brunch.

Are you having engagement or wedding announcements published in your local paper?

No comments: