January 18, 2009

Making a Run for the Border Instead?

I just had to share this wedding  because I think it shows that anything goes for weddings. If I was going to have a wedding/reception at a chain restaurant, the foodie in me would go to Cheesecake Factory or P.F.Chang's. :) 

One of the things that struck me the most in the article about this wedding was one of the reasons cited for doing it at Taco Bell: "there was no stress." I have not really addressed wedding stress (if there is such a thing..okay there is...who am I trying to kid here?) yet because so far this process has been 95% un-stressful as we get close to the half-way point in our engagement. Some of the situations I read on the internet with brides stressing out would definitely push me to make a run for the border or to Taco Bell if I were them. 

Some of the prime culprits of wedding stress to me seem to be:

1. Family and Family Expectations: I know FMIL CPF and Mommy CPF are reading, so I will make sure to say that they've been really nice to us during this process. They've really let us define what we'd like this wedding to be thus far, and I appreciate them for that. Our extended families are just as low-key (thanks all!).

2. Bridal Party Drama - We're not having a bridal party, and stress avoidance is NOT the reason we've chosen to do this. I've definitely read some crazy stuff about brides causing their bridesmaids grief, asking for a lot personally and financially or just plain cattiness. I think what's key is just remembering the friendship and support reasons for the bridal party.  Your friendship/family relationship should be able to survive a wedding. 

3. MONEY - who pays, who doesn't pay and why. I can't say that this is not a part of the wedding planning process. Money and family/relationship dynamics are always going to be around, so you might as well start to deal with them. 

4. Self-Imposed Expectations - I don't have many expectations for myself for this wedding. As long as I show up and am mentally ready to be joined to Mr. CPF, then I think things will be alright. As I said before, I am NOT a DIYer. There will be no long nights folding paper or learning floral design. I hope that there will be even more happy days than the wedding in the future, so it doesn't have to be "the best/most important day of my life." I'm just trying to keep my eyes on the prize here. 

My M.O./mantra for wedding planning has been: "I REFUSE to be stressed out about this." I have remained pretty firm about that. The only wedding drama I want to be anywhere near is on the days I choose to watch "Bridezillas" (and even that gets me a bit antsy..good lord some of those women need help!)

If anyone has advice on how to handle wedding stress, please let me know. I'd love to hear it. 

2 comments:

Mrs. Andi said...

Hi fellow bride! I found you through A Practical Wedding on Meg's blog! I can tell you that we've had our own share of stress too, but it has been a big help to work on this together. We knew from the beginning that this was part of our journey together, decisions & all. I go crazy, he helps tone me down. Or he gets too laid back & I get him excited about things again!

Chic.Personal.Fun said...

Thanks for stopping by! Mr. CPF has been a great partner in all of this, and I think that's definitely key. I think you and your partner both have it right about seeing this as a part of something you'll both experience together. Please keep stopping by. :)