July 8, 2009

A Glimpse at City Hall


A few days ago Mr. Swan and I made a major step towards the wedding and got our marriage license.

The process was pretty simple actually. We made our way down to the NYC Marriage Bureau. While there are branches in each borough of New York City, we decided to go to the newly renovated and relatively high-tech one in lower Manhattan. The City has done a lot of work to make this an attractive place to not only get your license but also to marry. In all, I think it was a pleasant experience in some pretty nice surroundings.



Here it is in all its glory.


After checking in at the information booth, we filled out an online form, which we could have done at home (but it wouldn't have had the benefit of all of the atmosphere that only a government office can provide). On the form, I was able to also select a new last name. More on that later.....





Here's Mr. Swan looking very intently at the application.

After finishing the application and collecting a number, we waited for our number to be called, and took in the scene at the Marriage Bureau (and what a scene it was!!). One of the coolest aspects of the Marriage Bureau is that they literally have everything for your wedding needs right there. Vendors/wedding elves? No need. You need flowers?



Check!

They have everything from a single flower to full bridal bouquets at VERY reasonable prices. Apparently you can also get everything from hairspray to disposable digital cameras. Not bad!


I will admit to you that I was getting a little misty-eyed while there. I've been loving all things marriage lately. Committment makes me mushy. It's actually pretty cool to see all kinds of people with their family and friends getting ready to be married.


There's even a spot with a backdrop of the City Hall ('cause you know this is the equivalent of going down to "City Hall" to get married. Not the same building though.) Here's a great pic of a couple in front of backdrop.





We didn't get a chance to see the chapel where the marriage ceremonies take place, which is in the back behind this booth. Boo!




So after taking it all in, We got THIS:

Our marriage license!
I thought it would look a bit....prettier? I don't know what I was expecting, but I think after getting the license this week things are beginning to hit me. I'm getting married. OMG!!!
How was your trip to get your marriage license? Was it a pleasant experience?

No comments: