July 19, 2009

Sweets for the Sweet

The idea of incorporating cupcakes into our reception meal has evolved throughout our wedding planning process. At first, I decided that we'd have cupcakes from one of the local bakeries that specializes in Red Velvet cake here in Brooklyn. I LOOOOOVEE Red Velvet cake. I'm not even a huge sweets person, but I crave this particular bakery's huge slices of Red Velvet on the regular. 

Then I thought about the fact that not everybody likes Red Velvet. What to do? Luckily, one day I was taking a break from reading wedding blogs (I advise that once in awhile), and  I read about Kumquat Cupcakery again.  I say again because in my Brooklyn/foodie blog reading of the past, I had heard of the founder, Keavy Landreth's wonderful mini-cupcake creations. 

She and/or her cupcakes can usually be found at the Brooklyn Flea, a really great weekend market not to far from my apartment. I decided to stalk the cupcakes one Saturday at my first time at the market, and I was NOT disappointed. I was blown away by her Red Velvet mini-cupcake. What's great about Keavy's cupcakes are that they are bite-size (or I guess two-bite size)  and come in a wide array of flavors. Not only that, she also takes great care with presentation, so the cupcakes not only taste great but look great. 

We had a chance to have a tasting with Keavy this past weekend to taste some of the other flavors that I've intially chosen for the wedding. Here they are:

Let's start with the simple yet tasty vanilla cake with vanilla frosting. Sometimes things are best when they're simple. And yes, the cupcakes are that small. 


Chocolate raspeberry. The mix of the fresh creme, raspberry and chocolate was wonderful. This is one of Keavy's specialty cupcakes.


Banana cake with light cream cheese frosting and carmelized banana.


Strawberry cake with a little piece of strawberry for the top


The ever classic Red Velvet


Orange Poppyseed. I'm not a big fan or orange flavor, but this made me a believer.

We figure that with these variety of flavors, everyone will find something that they can enjoy and perhaps try something new. 

Are you having special flavors for your cake? How did you decide which flavors to choose?

No comments: